jeudi 3 mars 2016

Help with installing crankshaft seals without disassembly of the crankcase.

I acquired a third CRG S30 T1 JICA engine and a leak test revealed a leaking seal. 

Removal
Since the clutch was off access to the seal was easy though removing it was tricky. I tried screwing in small self tapping screws, but the outside of the seals is metal, so I drilled 2 small holes to start the screws and was able to pull the seal out. The problem was there were some small pieces of metal from the drilling that fell in on the bearing, I hope I got them all out using my Shop-Vac. Next time I will try something else, like a small screw driver, being careful to not scratch the crankshaft or the casings.

Installation
I thought that I could use a deep socked, 7/8'' or larger, but the crankshaft is too long on the JICA engine because of the clutch. So looking around the house and garage I came up an oil pump sleeve from my Porsche 924S. Just the right size to extend the socket and tap the seal into place. Another possibility is an old crankshaft bearing, which would be more common than old Porsche parts in a kart owner's garage.





Aucun commentaire:

Publier un commentaire