jeudi 3 mars 2016

Introduction and explanation

In 2014 I pulled my old Tony Kart out of the back of the garage where it had been languishing for 14 years with the intention of doing some lapping. I got it running and promptly blew the CRG JICA engine first time out.

With no budget to pay someone else to repair the engine I have had to figure it out myself, thus started the process of learning to repair and rebuild 100cc kart engines. They are very simple so with a bit of practice you can do a complete overhaul with basic knowledge and tools.

An ad I put online for spare parts got a response from Robert who had 5 engines (that later became 7) that needed work.

Since than I have been working on and learning about these engines, so far I have done partial or full rebuilds on these engines.
my original CRG JICA (hone, piston and rings)
3 Yamaha KT100s (one took a hone, piston and rings, crankcase seals and crankshaft bearings)
a Titan JICA (hone, piston and rings, crankcase seals and crankshaft bearings)
2  Vortex JICAs
2 Ital Sis MV21 ICA rotary valve engines (both needed, a hone plus piston and rings)
Rotax DSB ICA rotary valve engine (compression test - leaking seal on the rotary cover)

I have come up with some tricks and home made tools that I would like to share. If others can add their tips and tools contact me and I will add them to the blog.

I have been following this Facebook page...

Proper Karting - Formula 100cc - Rye House - Hoddesdon Kart Club

... which has taught me a huge amount about 100cc 2-stroke kart engines in general and specifically on the engines from the 1990s that make up my collection. I like the simplicity of the air-cooled engines and during the '90s they reached the high point of their development.The above site gives one access to a lot expertise; most of my questions (sometimes dumb) have been answered there.

Also I have the following very useful books:
"The Complete Yamaha KT100" - by Jean L. Genibrel
"Le guide technique du kart - moteurs de kart 2000" - by J.P. Mechin

The blog is very much a work in progress... I start pages before having pictures to finish them, just so I won't forget. I will work at getting them all completed eventually.

Aucun commentaire:

Publier un commentaire